The idea of forming a Bowls Club for the combined villages of Standon and Puckeridge happened in the early part of 1951, the first meeting to formalise the idea occurred on the 24th of May 1951 and you can read the minutes of that meeting here.
It was proposed during the meeting of the 10th of June 1951 that “a notice to be put in the local paper advising the public that the Bowling Green is now player”, the proposal was carried.
The first match played on the green was held on the 7th of July 1951 against Allenbury, though there is no mention in the minutes as to the outcome of the game.
At the meeting held on the 14th of August 1951 it was proposed by S. Smith and seconded by C. Brown “that ladies be accepted as members of the Club”, the proposal was carried. Also at this meeting the building of the Pavilion was discussed with regards to getting the ‘footings’ in place ready for the builders to get started.
A little over a year after the club was formed, on the 12th of August 1952, the club consisted of just 22 full members and 5 half members
It was decided on the 3rd of March 1953 that the club be affiliated to the Herts Amateur Bowls Association.
By the 26th of March the current captain, Mr Ward, was reporting “an improvement in the clubs playing, as they had played 25 matches of which they had won 13”
In 1954 we became affiliated with the Hertfordshire Bowls Association and the East Hertfordshire Bowling Association.